2008/05/13

This was a Big One

At first I thought I was having some sort of dizzy spell – something I ate, maybe. I was sitting at my desk at the office and my chair was rocking back and forth slightly. Within a couple minutes, someone said there was a big earthquake in Sichuan.

“Sichuan!” I said. “That’s a thousand miles away!”

It’s kind of like being in Seattle and feeling a tremor from San Francisco. Reports of damage were slow to come in at first, as they always are. Certainly everyone here in Beijing is fine, though some who have never experienced earthquakes are a little freaked out. One colleague who is from Sichuan has been trying to get hold of her mother, so far without success as far as I know. I hope she’s OK.

When I woke up this morning I saw the story on the BBC, which is pretty frightening.

No comments:

Post a Comment